Mount Vernon 1.19.13

Back in September, I found out that a good friend of mine was taking a group of students to Washington D.C. for the inauguration and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to tag along.  Visiting our nations capital has always been on my bucket list and I couldn't think of a better way to visit it for the first time than with an expert guide and to see a presidential inauguration to boot.  So, after teaching all day on Friday, we headed to the airport to take the red eye to DC.  After a LONG flight, a short connecting flight (where I finally slept), a quick refresher at the airport, we were ready to load onto our tour bus and begin checking out the sights.  Unfortunately, we were traveling with another group from Arizona and their flight got in late and then one of their students had a lost bag.  So, about 2 hours later than planned, we were finally off.  The bad news was due to the delay our plans changed for the day and we didn't get to see what we had planned.  The good news, is we still saw A LOT!!!  Our first stop...Mount Vernon, the home of our very first president Mr. George Washington.
 Okay, so this is clearly not Mount Vernon, but on our way there, Darrick pointed out the NCIS Naval Yard and I just couldn't resist taking a picture as that's one of my favorite shows.
 The house.
 Cara and Christy became good friends with Martha.
 No biggie, just chillin' on George Washington's porch.
I have to say, I was more impressed with Mount Vernon than I thought I was going to be.  It really wasn't high up on my "to see" list, but after being there, I would definitely go back.  So much history to soak in.

No comments: