Gingerbread House vs. Momma 12.28.10

Doesn't that look so pretty...I know ours will turn out exactly like that.
Because the frosting wasn't really holding the house together very well, every time Logan would try to stick a candy on, the whole roof would cave in...good times.

Notice the lack of frosting on the roof. I was thrilled just to get that much to stay on.

Pretty plain, but it was finally holding. SUCCESS!!!!!



Logan and I didn't get around to making our gingerbread house this year until after the holidays, but no worries. It's still a fun project to do. Well, at least I thought so. This year we got the kind of kit that has you make your own frosting. I did not like this so much. The making itself wasn't that big a deal, however I'm pretty sure I messed it up. For the life of me, I couldn't get that darn frosting to stick to the gingerbread. It stuck to my fingers and the bag and the knife and the table and the candy and my camera and the dog, but it refused to stick to the dang gingerbread. As Logan is cataloging the candy and deciding which he should try and which should go on the house, I am quietly uttering every curse word I could think of. I even found myself getting red in the face and all hot and sweaty. This was not suppose to be going this way. Our house was suppose to look like the one on the box dangit. (I'm getting all hot under the collar just thinking about it now.) I mean, come on! This is suppose to be a children's activity, how can I be having so much trouble with this. So, after much fretting on my part, I took a step back and realized I was missing the whole point. Logan didn't care that the frosting wasn't sticking. Logan had no preconcieved ideas about what our house was "suppose" to look like. So, I took a cue from my little man and just let it all go. (Oh and I also added a bit more water to the frosting mix which helped a wee bit.) And we ended up having a great time, laughing, eating, creating, it was all good. It was definitely an interesting gingerbread house. I look forward to what next year's house has to bring us. Good lordy! Life is good, even when things don't go quite the way you had planned.

No comments: